Eliseg's Pillar, sited to the north-west of Llangollen, is the remnant of a cross erected by Cyngen (Concenn) – king of Powys, died at Rome in 854 – in memory of his great-grandfather, Elise (Eliseg). The cross is said to have been toppled in the 1640s, during the Civil War. It was in several pieces in 1696, when the antiquarian Edward Lhuyd transcribed as much as he could decipher of the pillar's Latin inscription. In 1779 a local landowner, one T. Lloyd, mounted the eight-foot long stump that remained – the upper section of the cylindrical pillar, with a moulded collar and swags forming the transition to the cross' rectangular-sectioned shaft – into the original base-stone, and re-erected the, now much reduced, monument on top of a Bronze Age cairn (which does seem to have been the cross' original position). Presumably to improve the pillar's visibility, Lloyd had a drystone plinth built beneath its base. The inscription has been illegible for many years, so the following interpretation is necessarily based on Edward Lhuyd's transcription:
+ Concenn son of Cattell, Cattell son of Brohcmail, Brohcmal son of Eliseg, Eliseg son of Guoillauc
+ Concenn therefore, great-grandson of Eliseg erected this stone for his great-grandfather Eliseg
+ It was Eliseg who united the inheritance of Powys [...] however through force [...] from the power of the English [...] land with his sword by fire[?]
[+] Whosoever shall read out loud this hand-inscribed [...] let him give a blessing [on the soul of] Eliseg
+ It is Concenn [...] with his hand [...] his own kingdom of Powys [...] and which [...] the mountain.
[...] monarchy [...] Maximus of Britain [...] Pascent [...] Maun Annan [...] Britu moreover [was] the son of Guarthigirn whom Germanus blessed [and whom] Sevira bore to him, the daughter of Maximus the king, who killed the king of the Romans.
+ Conmarch represented pictorially this writing at the demand of his king, Concenn.
+ The blessing of the Lord upon Concenn and likewise[?] on all of his household and upon all the province of Powys until [...].
Interpretation by Nancy Edwards